Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
these men are such fundamentally different dancers but especially at slow GIF speed it’s clear how perfectly precise they were as a duo.
Donald O’Conner was actually nervous about this because he considered himself more of a hoofer than a dancer, and if you watch this number you can see he uses his upper body less than Gene Kelly. Also, they were both really worried that the other would turn the opposite direction from them, but as you can see, unlike Zoolander, they both turn left. :D
Let’s not forget to acknowledge Alexandre Dumas this Black History Month
The writer of two of the most well known stories worldwide, The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo was a black man.
Let’s not forget that he was played on screen by a white man. And the fact that he was black is barely ever mentioned or the book he wrote inspired by his experiences.
Other things not to forget about Alexandre Dumas:
- chose to take on his slave grandmother’s last name, Dumas, like his father did before him.
- grew up too poor for formal education, so was largely self-taught, including becoming a prolific reader, multilingual, well-travelled, and a foodie, resulting in his writing both a combination encyclopedia/cookbook (which just— is fucking outrageous to me) AND the adaptation of The Nutcracker on which Tchaikovsky based his ballet
- he also wrote a LOOOOT of nonfiction and fiction about history, politics, and revolution, bc he was pro-monarchy, but a radical cuss, and that got him in a lot of hot water at home and abroad.
- even beyond that, he generally put up with a lot of racist bullshit in France, so he went and wrote a novel about colonialism and a BLATANTLY self-insert anti-slavery vigilante hero (which he then cribbed from to write the Count of Monte Cristo, the main character of which, Edmond Dantés, Dumas also based on himself).
- (…a novel which also features a LOAD of PoC beyond the Count, and at LEAST one queer character, btw, bc EVERY MOVIE ADAPTATION OF ANYTHING BY DUMAS IS A LIE; seriously, at LEAST one of the four Musketeers is Black, y’all.)
- famously, when some fuckshit or other wanted to come at Dumas with some anti-Black foolishness, Dumas replied, “My father was a mulatto, my grandfather was a Negro, and my great-grandfather a monkey. You see, Sir, my family starts where yours ends.”
- for the bicentennial of his birthday, Pres. Jacques Cirac was like, “…sorry about the hella racism,” and had Dumas’s ashes reinterred at the Panthéon of Paris, bc if you’re gonna keep the corpses of the cream of the crop all together, Dumas’s more widely read and translated than literally everybody else.
- and they are still finding stuff old dude wrote, seriously; like discovering “lost” works as recently as 2002, publishing stuff for the first time as recently as 2005.
This is IMPORTANT!
My sister is ridiculous
In The Princess Bride, Inigo’s quest for his father’s killer is one of the most successful subplots in film history. Watching his performance, it’s such an emotional scene. I was looking up little known facts about the movie and found out that the reason this scene is so moving is because just after Mandy Patinkin took this role, his father died of cancer. In this fight he imagined that this was his chance to beat cancer, to come to terms with his father’s death by getting revenge on cancer (The Six-Fingered Man). Pretty sure I’ve cried whenever I see that scene ever since.
That explains the raw emotion of that scene. That one line had so much more poignance than the entire rest of the movie (and I say this as someone who loves this movie.)
Nutella Hot Chocolate
-1 cup of milk
-2 spoonfuls of Nutella
-mini marshmallows Directions: Pour about 1/4 of the milk into a saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the Nutella and whisk until blended. Slowly stir in the remaining milk. Add a pinch of cinnamon and whisk until hot and frothy. Carefully pour the mixture into a mug, add whipped cream, and mini marshmallows.
Oh no oh yes oh no oh yes oh no oh yes oh no….
Does anyone else notice the parallels between The Final Sacrifice and Harry Potter
no i’m serious hear me out
Troy / Harry: Parent(s) killed by evil cult
Satoris / Voldemort: Leader of evil cult
Ziox / Deatheaters: The evil cult, right down to the tattoo/brand that can be used to summon members
Rowsdower / Snape: Total jerk to Troy/Harry but protects and helps him on his journey. Used to belong to Evil Cult that is now chasing Troy/Harry. May have killed Troy’s father / definitely killed Dumbledore
Mike Pipper / Hagrid: Crazy hairy dude who lives in the woods and helps fill in some back story for Troy / Harry